Dogs at Walt Disney World

DisneyDaddyof2

WDW Kingdom Member
WDW Kingdom Reward Points
I for one am an avid dog lover but would never bring my pets with me on vacation to be left in a resort room. I was reading that wdw is continuing its pet friendly resorts. I just don’t understand (unless it is medically needed) why anyone would leave a let alone in an unfamiliar place. We know people are not going to hang out in their room with their dog on vacation especially st wdw. Just curious everyone’s thoughts.

HelloCindy

WDW Kingdom Member
I also would not leave a dog alone all day in a hotel. I know it's more common for people to travel with dogs now and more hotels are becoming dog friendly. I hope people return to the room frequently enough to care for their dogs and meet their exercise needs. I have read complaints of barking dogs (the barking going on and on) from a couple of people, but we have not stayed in/near one of the dog friendly areas. Hopefully the people who do this have dogs who are used to traveling and don't get too nervous.

Cromer816

Magic Vacations Travel Planner
I honestly would rather board a pet rather than to leave them in a hotel room while traveling. I know its extra cost, however, it is also extra costs when you stay in those rooms because they know pets will be there. I have had clients not like it because some dogs bark while they are there probably because they are not used to where they are but its a resort hotel, I really do not think that is the best place to be bringing them and leaving them for long hours anyways.
On the other hand, I do have clients that stay in their RV/camper at the Fort Wilderness campgrounds and sites and that is a little more pet friendly in my opinion and the "room" is something they are more likely to be familiar with.

DanF3

WDW Kingdom Member
I honestly would rather board a pet rather than to leave them in a hotel room while traveling. I know its extra cost, however, it is also extra costs when you stay in those rooms because they know pets will be there. I have had clients not like it because some dogs bark while they are there probably because they are not used to where they are but its a resort hotel, I really do not think that is the best place to be bringing them and leaving them for long hours anyways.
On the other hand, I do have clients that stay in their RV/camper at the Fort Wilderness campgrounds and sites and that is a little more pet friendly in my opinion and the "room" is something they are more likely to be familiar with.
@Cromer816 I completely agree with you but is boarding the pet that much more than having them in the hotel? I know they have the Best Friends Pet Care resort for pets near by. I wonder how much that costs per night. I believe the hotel upcharge is $75 per night to bring a pet.

999happyhaunts

WDW Kingdom New Member
Hi everyone,

Maybe I am in the minority here but I have noticed that there has been a major increase in "service dogs" in the parks. Does anyone think that Disney now allowing dogs to stay overnight has increased this?

HilaryC

WDW Kingdom New Member
@Cromer816 I completely agree with you but is boarding the pet that much more than having them in the hotel? I know they have the Best Friends Pet Care resort for pets near by. I wonder how much that costs per night. I believe the hotel upcharge is $75 per night to bring a pet.
It was $150 a night I think for a suite for my two dogs total at Best Friends. You can board them likely cheaper elsewhere, we are boarding our two for an upcoming trip in a similar type suite elsewhere for $90 a night total I think.

HilaryC

WDW Kingdom New Member
Hi everyone,

Maybe I am in the minority here but I have noticed that there has been a major increase in "service dogs" in the parks. Does anyone think that Disney now allowing dogs to stay overnight has increased this?
I don’t think so, I’ve noticed this everywhere not just Disney. It’s somply people abusing the system, because legally no one can ask your documentation for a support animal so they know they can get away with it.

Cromer816

Magic Vacations Travel Planner
I am not sure on exact costs for either. I know that Disney resorts can also have different prices depending on when and where you are staying for adding the pet to your booking. I know there are other options while in Orlando or boarding them back home. Most of my clients board their pets somewhere in the town they live in because it is cheaper and it is most likely a place they are familiar with because of other traveling besides Disney.

HelloCindy

WDW Kingdom Member
I don’t think so, I’ve noticed this everywhere not just Disney. It’s somply people abusing the system, because legally no one can ask your documentation for a support animal so they know they can get away with it.
HilaryC is correct. I have met a couple of people in the parks with 'service dogs'. The dogs were very sweet but in no way trained in any way other than being a loveable pet, and the people told me as much. This was before the 'dog friendly' rooms.

skibumrick

WDW Kingdom New Member
HilaryC is correct. I have met a couple of people in the parks with 'service dogs'. The dogs were very sweet but in no way trained in any way other than being a loveable pet, and the people told me as much. This was before the 'dog friendly' rooms.
Same here. I struck up a conversation with a dog owner at WDW that had a "service animal" jacket on and he said he just got it on the internet. Did not have to prove anything. Which is ridiculous. There NEEDS to be some way to stop that. As @HilaryC said it is everywhere. I have noticed it more and more everywhere I go. Disney is not doing anything wrong but simply trying to capitalize on this trend. I don't blame them.

HelloCindy

WDW Kingdom Member
I just read on AllEars that WDW is ending the pet-friendly program as of 10/15/18. I am glad. I am also wondering if the primary reason is security. It would be difficult for staff to go in the room with a dog to do their security checks. Any thoughts?